The Massage in Schools Programme is an easy, accessible and effective tool for improving children's quality of life in school.
The intention is simple; To give children the opportunity to experience nurturing touch at school in a safe way. The MISP will enable them to interact differently.
Official studies carried out on massage itself, state, among other things, that massage helps to strengthen the immune system, lower stress levels and increase the production of relaxing hormones. We are aware that the children massaging each other are not therapists, nor are the conducting deep tissue massage; however, because it is still massage that the MISP programme proposes, albeit a simple one, the body systems are therefore affected positively.
• The opportunity to learn and experience saying "yes" or "no" to touch
• A feeling of being individually perceived and acknowledged
• Relaxation, reduction in stress levels
• Improved concentration
• Developing greater respect for peers
• More harmony within the classroom
• Calmer, happier children
• Stronger peer relationships, built upon respect
• Easier and smoother classroom management
• Lower noise levels within the classroom
• Calmer class environment
• Promotes staff well-being and stronger relationships with students
• A sense of unity in the school, a shared experience and benchmark of respect
• Practical and proactive approach to address bullying
• Calmer, happier and more positive children
• Children of different ages and classes helping one another
• Structured routine which actively promotes well-being
• A sense of school identity
• A positive action which helps to calm their child
• Stronger relationships, created through positive touch, promoting bonding and attachment
• Calmer child when arriving home from school
• An activity which child and parent share together
• Improved sleep
• Improved communication
The expectation is for the class teacher to practice this routine daily with the children, which usually takes 20 minutes, whilst the children are becoming familiar with the techniques.
Once the class is confident with the routine and it has been mastered by the children, the entire routine takes no longer than 15 minutes per pair.
For further information on support in implementing this as part of an intervention strategy or whole school well-being, please contact us via email for a discussion.